Small Town Girl in a Big Town World

For those who live in their heads and travel with their bodies.

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Time is Now. Pain is Temporary!

Hey! So, nothing huge, but, I've decided to change my entire current lifestyle. Enough talk, more walk. And by walk, I mean run.

Last night was the first time I have ever attempted a) an intensity workout and b) working out at home. I got my inspiration from this girl, and these folks. What amazing creatures. I used to look at these people as some sort of super-human-type-folk and then it dawned on me. Maybe I can do this too.

I have never considered myself overweight or unattractive in the body department, but I also never really considered myself happy with the way I feel all the time. Tired, lazy, bored, unmotivated. Well. Eff-That! All it takes is the first jump, kick, or sprint and there you have it. I'm alive again!

So let's talk about the work out: I have no plan really, I am still trying to get used to this whole idea of coming home and putting running shoes on, rather than slippers. All I know is I am going to be active EVERY DAY. If I skip a day, I know I'll want to skip another, that's just me knowing me. So stopping is not an option. Doesn't mean I'll never take a lax day, of course, but it just means I'll go out for a long walk with mom, rather than a BodyRocker interval sesh. I also want to give a shout out to those closest to me: you know who you are. I need your help. I need you all to help me stay on track. Ask me how its going, or what my work out is today/tonight/tomorrow. I really want to keep this going. For me, and for future me! (And for you too, I will be a much happier and humbler person around you!)


I'm going to try and keep a log of what I do, so that I can monitor progress and keep track of work-outs. I am always going to be looking for new workouts and new recipes, so if you have links, friends, or ideas, bring 'em on down! I'll be happy to try them out. I need to get a few things too, especially one of these:) Word, Sabrina!

So, yesterday, Sunday morning, I went to my first Yoga class at the new studio and it was great. What a way to start a Sunday. So relaxing, I really tried to focus on my breath this time. Its so hard especially when you're wondering if you're positioning correctly, etc. The studio is gorgeous. Reminds me of back when I was in Costa Rica, Maria took me to this wonderful yoga studio, great atmosphere, vegan food out front, the works. But this place has a tea room, a vegan raw food restaurant, a waterfall on the hot room wall, and the list goes on. Can't wait to go back (Wednesday's workout!)

Last night, 1st day on: I attempted a half-100 workout inspired by RAR, with a few changes since I don't own a TRX (yet)!
50 jumping jacks
40 squats
30 step lunges
50 crunches
20 push ups (mostly on knees)
50 jumping jacks
? (20?) tricep push ups
20 plank side-steps (out then in)
10 push ups on knees
20 jumping jacks

Okay, so it isn't a perfect 100 work out. But as I mentioned, I'm working my way up and I tell you: If I'd gone the full-out 100 I wouldn't be walking today. I also made sure I had some wicked tunes going - that always helps push it-just a bit harder, especially since I'm working out alone! I started with Reverse-by Arty (*heart*)

I should mention, that Maya, our 2.5 yr-old retreiver/mix didn't know what was going on and took every chance to get in on mommy's work out. Especially during crunch-time!! LOL What a girl :)
Tonight after a day of sitting and only sitting, I went for a run around the block for about 20 mins. Took Maya with me and she loved it. It was raining and cold and windy but we pushed through it. Came home to stretch it out and my legs felt (feel) like lead. (I hope I can get up off the couch after this post!!) The work out from yesterday really left me sore. But, as Tara, my old Goodlife BodyCombat instructor used to say: PAIN IS TEMPORARY!!

Made Pad Thai tonight for dinner. YUM. First time in a while I cooked with tofu. So good.

Talk soon!
M

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bodyrocker too!! I've just been on vacation from it for two months lol.

    ReplyDelete